Wednesday, October 15, 2008

thoughts on transiowa...in october

its been almost 6 months since transiowa. my last post and ari's comment got me thinking more about it again. i'm not sure i've spent many days without at least a fleeting thought about it. yeah, its easy to be disappointed in how it ended this year, but luckily its easier to be excited about next year. there are many, many stories from transiowa...some of them very personal and some of them involving the awesome people i spent time suffering with. however...one moment will always stand out...one moment burned into my memory. one that i won't ever forget, but hopefully one that will soften when...yes WHEN i finish this fucking race. after everything i'd gone through fighting the wind, getting lost, paralyzing cramps, then the graciousness of the group of single speeders that i met up with as i killed myself trying to get back on schedule...the feeling of hitting the pavement at the top of that small rise on the final gravel road. hitting the top of that hill and looking down into wadena, then looking at my computer. we could see all of wadena and had it not been for a row of houses, we could have seen the group gathered at the checkpoint. look back at my computer...2:00 p.m. i was standing on the edge of wadena, blocks from the checkpoint, only a third of the way into the race but having already gone through hell...and it was over. a calm acceptance hit harder than i expected, but my race was over. going into transiowa i knew my race would end when i finished, my bike broke or my legs stopped functioning. a time cutoff was never in the plans and i had no idea how to handle it. it was a strange feeling standing on the top of that hill looking into wadena...one that i can still feel everytime i think about it. somedays its still a tough feeling to manage...its certainly a feeling of something left unfinished. somedays its a feeling that makes me smile knowing i will have another shot at this thing. yeah...that definitely makes me smile.

3 comments:

Guitar Ted said...

Ben: Thank you. You have no idea how posts like this make all the work much, much easier.

See you soon......

shockstar said...

g-t...i fully intend for this to be the most important race on my calendar every year until i finish it. thanks for making it possible.

Ari said...

Ben, its a lot of hard work and sometimes I get frustrated not finding riding partners to ride with. I end up doing monster commutes to train. I work 52 miles from home and that is my only remedy. Keep working hard and keeping us posted. WE are all here to encourage one another. Yes all the work to Wadena was a lot. I then hooked up with Dennis and the Braun Brothers and started ridng back to Decorah since we had no ride. We made it back to hudson and attacked a hamburger joint. We were sooo hungry. We then got a ride back to decorah by a friend of one of the guys from Madison. I still consider her an angel. She came to carry the carnage back to Decorah in her Taurus Wagon.
best,
Ari